Current:Home > MyChainkeen|Northern Ireland prosecutor says UK soldiers involved in Bloody Sunday won’t face perjury charges -ProfitQuest Academy
Chainkeen|Northern Ireland prosecutor says UK soldiers involved in Bloody Sunday won’t face perjury charges
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 06:53:02
LONDON (AP) — Fifteen British soldiers who allegedly lied to an inquiry into Bloody Sunday,Chainkeen one of the deadliest days of the decades-long Northern Ireland conflict, will not face perjury charges, prosecutors said Friday.
There was insufficient evidence to convict the soldiers or a former alleged member of the Irish Republican Army about their testimony before an inquiry into the 1972 killings of 13 civilians by Britain’s Parachute Regiment in Derry, also known as Londonderry, the Public Prosecution Service said.
An initial investigation into the slayings on Jan. 30, 1972 concluded the soldiers were defending themselves from a mob of IRA bombers and gunmen. But a 12-year-long inquiry concluded in 2010 that soldiers unjustifiably opened fire on unarmed and fleeing civilians and then lied about it for decades.
Families of the victims were outraged by the decision. John Kelly, whose brother Michael was killed by paratroopers, spoke for the group and called it an “affront to the rule of law.”
“Why is it that the people of Derry cannot forget the events of Bloody Sunday, yet the Parachute Regiment, who caused all of the deaths and injury on that day, apparently cannot recall it?” Kelly said. “The answer to this question is quite simple but painfully obvious: The British Army lied its way through the conflict in the north.”
Although a quarter century has passed since the Good Friday peace accord in 1998 largely put to rest three decades of violence involving Irish republican and British loyalist militants and U.K. soldiers, “the Troubles″ still reverberate. Some 3,600 people were killed — most in Northern Ireland, though the IRA also set off bombs in England.
Only one ex-paratrooper from Bloody Sunday, known as Soldier F, faces prosecution for two murders and five attempted murders. He was among the 15 soldiers who could have faced a perjury charge.
While victims continue to seek justice for past carnage, the possibility of a criminal prosecution could soon vanish.
The British government passed a Legacy and Reconciliation Bill last year that would have given immunity from prosecution for most offenses by militant groups and British soldiers after May 1. But a Belfast judge ruled in February that the bill does not comply with human rights law. The government is appealing the ruling.
Attorney Ciaran Shiels, who represents some of the Bloody Sunday families, said they would not rule out further legal action.
“It is of course regrettable that this decision has been communicated to us only today, some 14 years after the inquiry’s unequivocal findings, but less than two weeks before the effective enactment date of the morally bankrupt legacy legislation designed specifically to allow British Army veterans to escape justice for its criminal actions in the north of Ireland,” Shiels said.
Senior Public Prosecutor John O’Neill said the decision not to bring criminal charges was based on three things: accounts given by soldiers in 1972 were not admissible; much of the evidence the inquiry relied on is not available today; and the inquiry’s conclusion that testimony was false did not always meet the criminal standard of proof.
“I wish to make clear that these decisions not to prosecute in no way undermine the findings of the Bloody Sunday Inquiry that those killed or injured were not posing a threat to any of the soldiers,” O’Neill said.
veryGood! (41)
Related
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- For the Ohio River Valley, an Ethane Storage Facility in Texas Is Either a Model or a Cautionary Tale
- Musk asks in poll if he should step down as Twitter CEO; users vote yes
- Trump special counsel investigations cost over $9 million in first five months
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Chris Pratt Mourns Deaths of Gentlemen Everwood Co-Stars John Beasley and Treat Williams
- When startups become workhorses, not unicorns
- Middle America’s Low-Hanging Carbon: The Search for Greenhouse Gas Cuts from the Grid, Agriculture and Transportation
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Following Berkeley’s Natural Gas Ban, More California Cities Look to All-Electric Future
Ranking
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Jurassic Park Actress Ariana Richards Recreates Iconic Green Jello Scene 30 Years Later
- Tribes Sue to Halt Trump Plan for Channeling Emergency Funds to Alaska Native Corporations
- An Indiana Church Fights for Solar Net-Metering to Save Low-Income Seniors Money
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Inside a Southern Coal Conference: Pep Rallies and Fears of an Industry’s Demise
- Why the proposed TikTok ban is more about politics than privacy, according to experts
- Facing an energy crisis, Germans stock up on candles
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Besieged by Protesters Demanding Racial Justice, Trump Signs Order Waiving Environmental Safeguards
Mass layoffs are being announced by companies. If these continue, will you be ready?
Lily-Rose Depp Shows Her Blossoming Love for Girlfriend 070 Shake During NYC Outing
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Luke Bryan Defends Katy Perry From Critics After American Idol Backlash
Washington Commits to 100% Clean Energy and Other States May Follow Suit
Your Multivitamin Won't Save You