Current:Home > StocksRussian warships depart Cuba after visit following military exercises -ProfitQuest Academy
Russian warships depart Cuba after visit following military exercises
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 05:08:43
A fleet of Russian warships, including a nuclear-powered submarine, left Havana's port on Monday after a five-day visit to Cuba following planned military drills in the Atlantic Ocean. The exercise has been seen by some as a show of strength by Moscow against the backdrop of tensions as U.S. and other Western nations support Kyiv in Russia's war on Ukraine.
The submarine, a frigate, an oil tanker and a rescue tug slowly departed from the port on Monday morning.
It's unclear what the fleet's next destination is or where it will dock next in the Caribbean, although U.S. officials said days ago that the vessels could possibly also stop in Venezuela.
Officials with the Biden administration said last week that they were monitoring the vessels and confirmed that they did not pose a threat to the region or indicate a transfer of missiles. Still, the United States docked a submarine, the USS Helena, at its Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba.
The American naval base, located in the southeastern part of the island about 1,000 kilometers (625 miles) from the capital of Havana, is considered by the Cuban government to be illegally occupied territory.
Last week, the Russian ships arrived at the port after the Russian Ministry of Defense reported that the fleet successfully conducted military drills in the Atlantic Ocean, simulating a missile attack on targets that could be more than 600 kilometers (375 miles) away.
The fleet, made up of the frigate "Gorshkov," the nuclear-powered submarine "Kazan," the tanker "Pashin," and the tug "Nikolai Chiker," was received in Havana with a 21-gun salute.
Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel visited the frigate on Saturday and interacted with the sailors, according to a post by the president on the social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter.
Meanwhile, Cuban Deputy Foreign Minister Carlos Fernández de Cossío rejected the presence of the American submarine at Guantanamo Base, stating it was unwelcome and uninvited.
A State Department spokesperson said last week that Russia's port calls in Cuba are "routine naval visits" and do not pose any danger.
On Thursday, a day after arriving, hundreds of people lined up to visit the frigate. The ship was also open to the public on Saturday, which is a common practice when vessels arrive at the port.
Canada's navy patrol boat Margaret Brooke entered the Havana harbor on Friday.
- In:
- Caribbean
- Cuba
- Russia
- Atlantic Ocean
veryGood! (76658)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Raven-Symoné reveals her brother died of colon cancer: 'I love you, Blaize'
- Palestinian flag lodged in public Hanukkah menorah in Connecticut sparks outcry
- Hilary Duff Pays Tribute to Lizzie McGuire Producer Stan Rogow After His Death
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- NFL Week 14 winners, losers: Chiefs embarrass themselves with meltdown on offsides penalty
- Decorate Your Home with the Little Women-Inspired Christmas Decor That’s Been Taking Over TikTok
- Grinch-themed photo shoots could land you in legal trouble, photographers say: What we know
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- NBA star Ja Morant describes punching teen during a pickup basketball game last year
Ranking
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Rohingya Muslims in Indonesia struggle to find shelter. President says government will help for now
- Europe agreed on world-leading AI rules. How do they work and will they affect people everywhere?
- Family of man who died after police used a stun gun on him file lawsuit against Alabama city
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Texas woman who sought court permission for abortion leaves state for the procedure, attorneys say
- Macy's receives buyout offer — is it all about real estate?
- A jury decided Google's Android app store benefits from anticompetitive barriers
Recommendation
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
George Santos is in plea negotiations with federal prosecutors
Denver man sentenced to 40 years in beating death of 9-month-old girl
Horse and buggy collides with pickup truck, ejecting 4 buggy passengers and seriously injuring 2
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
US inflation likely cooled again last month as Fed prepares to assess interest rates
Former NHL player, coach Tony Granato reveals cancer diagnosis
Three people die in a crash that authorities discovered while investigating a stolen vehicle