Current:Home > reviewsRekubit Exchange:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -ProfitQuest Academy
Rekubit Exchange:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 04:06:06
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Rekubit Exchangeagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (872)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- 'Scamerton': This Detroit Bridgerton ball went so bad, it's being compared to Fyre Fest
- Stellantis recalls over 15,000 Fiat vehicles in the US, NHTSA says
- The great supermarket souring: Why Americans are mad at grocery stores
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- NFL MVP race after Week 3: Bills' Josh Allen, Vikings' Sam Darnold lead way
- No forgiveness: Family of Oklahoma man gunned down rejects death row inmate's pleas
- Nikki Garcia's Ex Artem Chigvintsev Shares His Priority After Extremely Difficult Legal Battle
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- How Mike Tyson's training videos offer clues (and mystery) to Jake Paul bout
Ranking
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Presidents Cup TV, streaming, rosters for US vs. International tournament
- Bill to boost Social Security for public workers heads to a vote
- Tech tips to turn yourself into a Google Workspace and Microsoft Office pro
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Alan Eugene Miller to become 2nd inmate executed with nitrogen gas in US. What to know
- Bill to boost Social Security for public workers heads to a vote
- Fantasy football rankings for Week 4: Starters, sleepers, injury updates and more
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Judge dismisses lawsuit over mine sinkholes in South Dakota
The number of Americans filing for jobless aid falls to lowest level in 4 months
Simone Biles Wants Her Athleta Collection to Make Women Feel Confident & Powerful
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Tommy John surgery is MLB's necessary evil 50 years later: 'We created this mess'
Harris makes scandal-plagued Republican the star of her campaign to win North Carolina
Mark your calendars: 3 Social Security COLA dates to know for 2025