Current:Home > MarketsChainkeen Exchange-Court dismisses Ivanka Trump from New York attorney general's fraud lawsuit -ProfitQuest Academy
Chainkeen Exchange-Court dismisses Ivanka Trump from New York attorney general's fraud lawsuit
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:42:05
A New York appeals court dismissed Ivanka Trump on Chainkeen ExchangeTuesday from a wide-ranging fraud lawsuit brought against her father and his company last year by the state's attorney general.
The civil lawsuit, brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James, accused former President Trump of padding his net worth by billions of dollars and misleading banks, insurance companies and others about the value of his assets, including golf courses and the Mar-a-Lago estate. It named his three eldest children — Ivanka, Donald Jr. and Eric Trump — as defendants, along with multiple Trump Organization executives.
In a ruling on Tuesday, the Appellate Division of New York's Supreme Court dismissed the claims against Ivanka Trump, ruling that they were barred by the state's statute of limitations. While claims over alleged wrongdoing after February 2016 were permissible, the court said, Ivanka Trump had stepped back from involvement in the Trump Organization and wasn't accused in the lawsuit of any misconduct during that later time period.
The panel left it to a lower-court judge to determine whether other parts of the lawsuit would also be barred by the state's statute of limitations.
A representative for Ivanka Trump did not immediately respond to a request for comment. James' office said in a statement that it planned to continue to pursue the case.
The lawsuit is the result of a three-year investigation into Trump and his business by James, a Democrat.
Her lawsuit details dozens of instances of alleged fraud, many involving claims made on annual financial statements that Trump would give to banks, business associates and financial magazines as proof of his riches as he sought loans and deals.
- Trump's legal troubles come to a head in New York
Trump has dismissed the investigation as a "politically motivated Witch Hunt."
In court papers, attorneys for Ivanka Trump said the lawsuit "does not contain a single allegation that Ms. Trump directly or indirectly created, prepared, reviewed, or certified any of her father's financial statements."
The attorney general claimed that as an executive vice president at the Trump Organization, Ivanka Trump had personally participated in the effort to exaggerate her father's wealth and obtain favorable loan terms from banks and real-estate licensing deals.
The Attorney's General Office is seeking a financial penalty of $250 million, as well as a ban on Trump and his family from doing business in New York. The case is set to go to trial in October.
- In:
- Ivanka Trump
- Donald Trump
veryGood! (63413)
Related
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Students march in Prague to honor the victims of the worst mass killing in Czech history
- UN somber economic forecast cites conflicts, sluggish trade, high interest and climate disasters
- Exploding toilet at a Dunkin’ store in Florida left a customer filthy and injured, lawsuit claims
- Trump's 'stop
- 4-year-old Washington girl overdoses on 'rainbow fentanyl' pills, parents facing charges
- Natalia Grace Adoption Case: How Her Docuseries Ended on a Chilling Plot Twist
- Florida Surgeon General Dr. Ladapo wants to halt COVID mRNA vaccines, going against FDA
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Judge denies change of venue motion in rape trial of man also accused of Memphis teacher’s killing
Ranking
- 'Most Whopper
- New bridge connecting Detroit to Canada won’t open until fall 2025
- Over a week after pregnant Texas teen Savanah Soto and boyfriend Matthew Guerra killed, a father and son have been arrested
- Senegal’s opposition leader faces setback in presidential race after defamation conviction is upheld
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- South African athlete Oscar Pistorius has been released from prison on parole, authorities say
- Former Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer says he's grown up, not having casual sex anymore
- Nick Carter says he's 'completely heartbroken' over sister Bobbie Jean's death: 'She is finally at peace'
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
The Excerpt podcast: E-bikes are everywhere. Can we navigate with them safely?
Stock market today: Asian shares mostly decline after mixed Wall Street finish
A Look at Bradley Cooper's Surprisingly Stacked History
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
India’s foreign minister signs a deal to increase imports of electricity from Nepal
Taiwan’s presidential candidate Ko Wen-je seeks a middle ground with China, attracting young voters
House Speaker Mike Johnson urges Biden to use executive action at the southern border