Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-Mexico cancels conference on 1960s and 1970s rights violations raising claims of censorship -ProfitQuest Academy
Oliver James Montgomery-Mexico cancels conference on 1960s and 1970s rights violations raising claims of censorship
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:45:05
Mexico’s Department of the Interior reportedly revoked funding on Oliver James MontgomeryFriday for a conference on the government’s violent anti-insurgency policy from the 1960s to the 1980s, raising claims of censorship.
The conference had been scheduled to begin in two days time. Organizers said they were forced to cancel the event, which would have focused on the period known in Mexico as the “dirty war.”
The decision has caused confusion among academics, some of whom have accused the government of censoring debate about an infamously violent period of modern Mexican history.
The event, hosted by the Colegio de Mexico, would have included presentations from historians from the United Kingdom to Argentina, members of Mexico’s “dirty war” inquiry panel, and officials from the Department of the Interior itself.
One of the speakers, academic and human rights activist Sergio Aguayo, first announced the news on the social media platform X, formerly Twitter, claiming a government official had expressed concerns to him that “enemies of the government” were participating in the conference.
“There are different points of view because that is why there is academic freedom,” Aguayo posted, calling the government’s decision “absurd.”
The government’s “dirty war” inquiry, which was co-organizing the event, later confirmed on social media that funding had been cut, and the conference was cancelled.
The Department of the Interior has not acknowledged the cancellation and did not respond to The Associated Press’ request for comment.
Since 2021, government officials have been investigating historic crimes committed during the period when the government waged a campaign of violence against leftist guerillas, dissidents and social movements in the 1960s, 70s and ’80s.
They withdrew their inquiry last month, however, after discovering military officials were allegedly destroying, hiding and altering documents.
Even decades later, over 2,300 victims of the “dirty war” or their relatives are thought to be alive today, many still searching for justice, investigators announced in their latest findings.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Kamala Harris blames Trump for abortion bans during Arizona visit
- Patriots' Day 2024: The Revolutionary War holiday is about more than the Boston Marathon
- Taylor Swift says Ryan Gosling, Emily Blunt's 'All Too Well' cover on 'SNL' was 'everything'
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- An AP photographer explains how he captured the moment of eclipse totality
- Four people charged in the case of 2 women missing from Oklahoma
- Europe's new Suzuki Swift hatchback is ludicrously efficient
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- The NBA’s East play-in field is set: Miami goes to Philadelphia while Atlanta goes to Chicago
Ranking
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- 13-year-old girl shot to death in small Iowa town; 12-year-old boy taken into custody
- Kamala Harris blames Trump for abortion bans during Arizona visit
- Patriots' Day 2024: The Revolutionary War holiday is about more than the Boston Marathon
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- 'Fortieth means I'm old:' Verne Lundquist reflects on final Masters call after 40 years
- Summer House: Martha's Vineyard's Jasmine Cooper Details Motherhood Journey Amid Silas' Deployment
- Horoscopes Today, April 14, 2024
Recommendation
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
Polish opponents of abortion march against recent steps to liberalize strict law
Military marchers set out from Hopkinton to start the 128th Boston Marathon
An AP photographer explains how he captured the moment of eclipse totality
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Fashion isn’t just for the eyes: Upcoming Met Gala exhibit aims to be a multi-sensory experience
Suspect in Maddi Kingsbury killing says his threat she would end up like Gabby Petito was a joke
Bayer Leverkusen wins first Bundesliga title, ending Bayern Munich’s 11-year reign