Current:Home > FinanceNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -ProfitQuest Academy
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 05:34:33
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (87134)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Not having Pride Night didn’t exclude Rangers from hosting All-Star Game, Manfred says
- Water conservation measures for Grand Canyon National Park after another break in the waterline
- 2024 Emmy Nominations: All the Shocking Snubs and Surprises From Shogun to The Bear
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Whoopi Goldberg Shares Cheeky Story Behind Her Stage Name
- Shooting attack at Oman mosque leaves 6 people dead, dozens wounded
- Emma Stone and Travis Kelce Are the Favourite Fans at Taylor Swift's Eras Tour in Germany
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Paris mayor swims in Seine to show the long-polluted river is clean for the Olympics
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Roll the Dice
- Jon Gosselin and Daughter Hannah Detail 75 Lb. Weight Loss Transformation
- It's National Lottery Day. See who has won the biggest Powerball, Mega Millions jackpots
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Sofia Vergara, David Beckham and More Stars React to 2024 Emmy Nominations
- California passed a law to fix unsafe homeless shelters. Cities and counties are ignoring it
- After heavy June rains, a buildup of manganese is discoloring a Louisiana city’s water supply
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
A meteor streaked across the NYC skyline before disintegrating over New Jersey
Peter Navarro, ex-Trump trade adviser, released from prison
FX's 'Shogun,' 'The Bear' top 76th Emmy Award nominations: Who else is up?
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
The Surprising Comments Christina Hall Made About Her Marriage to Josh Hall Just Days Before Breakup
Tress to Impress: The 27 Best Hair Care Deals This Prime Day as Low as $5.50
'Too Hot to Handle' Season 6: Release date, time, cast, where to watch new episodes