Current:Home > StocksNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -ProfitQuest Academy
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 17:05:07
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- A Composer’s Prayers for the Earth, and Humanity, in the Age of Climate Change
- Biden’s Top Climate Adviser Signals Support for Permitting Deal with Fossil Fuel Advocates
- For the First Time in Nearly Two Decades, the EPA Announces New Rules to Limit Toxic Air Pollutants From Chemical and Plastics Plants
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Environmentalists Want the FTC Green Guides to Slam the Door on the ‘Chemical’ Recycling of Plastic Waste
- Inexpensive Solar Panels Are Essential for the Energy Transition. Here’s What’s Happening With Prices Right Now
- Dylan Sprouse Marries Barbara Palvin After 5 Years Together
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- The Complicated Reality of John F. Kennedy Jr. and Carolyn Bessette's Tragic, Legendary Love Story
Ranking
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Save Up to 97% On Tarte Cosmetics: Get $252 Worth of Eyeshadow for $28 and More Deals on Viral Products
- Mining Critical to Renewable Energy Tied to Hundreds of Alleged Human Rights Abuses
- See What Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner Look Like With Aging Technology
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Ariana Grande and Dalton Gomez Break Up After 2 Years of Marriage
- As the Colorado River Declines, Water Scarcity and the Hunt for New Sources Drive up Rates
- Sharna Burgess Deserves a 10 for Her Birthday Tribute to Fine AF Brian Austin Green
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Carlee Russell Found: Untangling Case of Alabama Woman Who Disappeared After Spotting Child on Interstate
Q&A: The Power of One Voice, and Now, Many: The Lawyer Who Sounded the Alarm on ‘Forever Chemicals’
Red States Stand to Benefit From a ‘Layer Cake’ of Tax Breaks From Inflation Reduction Act
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Climate Change Forces a Rethinking of Mammoth Everglades Restoration Plan
Pennsylvania Expects $400 Million in Infrastructure Funds to Begin Plugging Thousands of Abandoned Oil Wells
A University of Maryland Health Researcher Probes the Climate Threat to Those With Chronic Diseases