Current:Home > StocksMassachusetts attorney general files civil rights lawsuit against white nationalist group -ProfitQuest Academy
Massachusetts attorney general files civil rights lawsuit against white nationalist group
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 16:26:02
BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts’ attorney general has filed a lawsuit accusing a white nationalist group of civil rights violations, saying it repeatedly subjected LGBTQ+ events and facilities sheltering migrant families to intimidation and harassment.
The complaint filed Thursday against NSC-131 and two of its leaders, Christopher Hood of Newburyport and Liam McNeil of Waltham, accuses the group of engaging “in violent, threatening, and intimidating conduct that violated state civil rights laws and unlawfully interfered with public safety.”
“NSC-131 has engaged in a concerted campaign to target and terrorize people across Massachusetts and interfere with their rights. Our complaint is the first step in holding this neo-Nazi group and its leaders accountable for their unlawful actions against members of our community,” Attorney General Andrea Campbell said in a statement.
According to the complaint, the group repeatedly targeted drag story hours around the state between July 2022 and January 2023, attempting to shut down the events and attacking members of the public. The group also targeted migrant shelters from October 2022 and October 2023, prosecutors allege.
The Associated Press wasn’t able to reach Hood or McNeil for comment about the lawsuit or determine if either has an attorney. A number listed for Hood had been disconnected and a number could not be found for McNeil. The group didn’t immediately respond to messages sent through Gab and Telegram.
The Anti-Defamation League describes NSC-131 as a New England-based neo-Nazi group founded in 2019 that “espouses racism, antisemitism and intolerance” and whose “membership is a collection of neo-Nazis and racist skinheads, many of whom have previous membership in other white supremacist groups.”
Earlier this year, a New Hampshire judge dismissed trespassing complaints against the group. Prosecutors there said the group displayed “Keep New England White” banners from an overpass without a permit in July.
In March 2022, about a dozen masked members of NSC-131 attended South Boston’s St. Patrick’s Day parade as spectators and held up a banner that said “Keep Boston Irish.” The parade’s organizers and Mayor Michelle Wu denounced the group’s appearance.
veryGood! (15944)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Browns’ plans for move to new dome stadium hits snag as county backs city’s renovation proposal
- RHONJ’s Rachel Fuda Is Pregnant, Expecting Another Baby With Husband John Fuda
- Stetson Bennett shakes off 4 INTs, throws winning TD in final seconds as Rams edge Cowboys, 13-12
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- MLB power rankings: Rampaging Padres hunt down Dodgers behind phenom Jackson Merrill
- Madison LeCroy’s Hair Hack Gives Keratin Treatment and Brazilian Blowout Results Without Damage
- Tom Daley Tearfully Announces Retirement After 2024 Olympics
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 9 drawing: Jackpot rises to $435 million
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Tom Cruise performs 'epic stunt' at Olympics closing ceremony
- 2024 Olympics: The Internet Can't Get Enough of the Closing Ceremony's Golden Voyager
- This is absolutely the biggest Social Security check any senior will get this year
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard reveals sex of baby: 'The moment y’all have been waiting for'
- Create the Perfect Bracelet Stack with These $50-and-Under Pieces That Look So Expensive
- Create the Perfect Bracelet Stack with These $50-and-Under Pieces That Look So Expensive
Recommendation
Small twin
'Snow White' trailer unveils Gal Gadot's Evil Queen; Lindsay Lohan is 'Freakier'
Jury selection to begin for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
Who performed at the Olympic closing ceremony? Snoop, Dr. Dre, Billie Eilish, Red Hot Chili Peppers
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Olympian Aly Raisman Slams Cruel Ruling Against Jordan Chiles Amid Medal Controversy
Who is Yseult? French singer steals hearts to cap off Paris Olympics closing ceremony
EXCLUSIVE: Ex-deputy who killed Sonya Massey had history of complaints involving women